The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) engages in monitoring, advocacy and access to quality comprehensive prevention, treatment, care and support services to live a healthy life.
Main Purpose of the Job:
The purpose of this position is to carry out evidence based research, analysis and policy positioning and subsequent dissemination of that information to support TAC campaigns.
KRA1: KRA1 Carry out policy research and development on health, science, legal, social and political issues relevant to TAC (as outlined in TAC’s National Research and Policy Strategy).
· Carry out research to support the development of TAC’s policy positions and responses in collaboration with the
Advocacy & Campaign Manager and TAC leadership on relevant health, scientific, political, legal, and social issues;
· To provide informed and evidence based policy advice to support TAC leadership;
· To support in the development of policy submissions, positions, public statements and other analysis;
· To keep up to date on medicine development and clinical trials for treatments (relevant for people living
with HIV and TB) and advise TAC leadership on policy positioning related to these in order to ensure
national government guidelines reflect best treatments;
· To support in influencing policy makers, parliamentarians and other key stakeholders for the achievement
of policy and campaign objectives.
KRA2: Monitoring the state of the healthcare system and implementation of the National Strategic Plan (NSP) on HIV, TB and STIs.
· To compile and analyse data collected by TAC branches at a local level into the state of healthcare delivery
and the state of NSP implementation;
· To monitor national level policies and budgets and to provide analysis where requested by the
Advocacy and Campaign Manager;
· To monitor certain international level policies, forums, institutions to provide analysis and positions.
KRA3: Dissemination of key research information into the public domain to support TAC campaigns.
· To ensure all TAC positions on health, science, legal, social and political issues relevant to the
organisation is made available publicly to support TAC campaigns;
· To engage with the media in order to ensure our messaging is spread widely locally, nationally and internationally;
· To provide public friendly content for key publications to further spread research and policy positioning;
Where requested to attend and present at relevant conferences to support TAC campaigns.
KRA4: Training and development of TAC comrades based on the issues outlined in the Research and Policy Strategy.
. In conjunction with the National PTL Coordinator, to carry out training to TAC comrades on key issues emanating
from research and policy work;
. To support in ensuring all TAC branches have up to date relevant information at their disposal
on our agreed upon positions;
. To support junior staff members as requested in the development of materials, web content, statements etc.
. Minimum Honours degree in Social Science, Public Health, Economics, Science, Medicine or other relevant field;
. Excellent proficiency in English - another South African language will be beneficial;
. Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the South African public healthcare system, the HIV and TB responses, and relevant science related to HIV and TB;
. Knowledge of South Africa’s governance system, policy development and legal system;
. Strong proven experience in research or investigative data collection;
. Excellent written and oral communication skills: preferably with previous communication experience;
. Ability to translate complex information - such as clinical studies, research papers and surveys – into simple, accessible material;
. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and ability to use online platforms such as WordPress (website), MailChimp (online mailing) and social media platforms.
. Excellent attention to detail
. Ability to work independently and under pressure
. Good healthy work ethic and able to work to deadline
. Adaptable and flexible during pressurised times
. Able to trouble shoot and deal with urgent matters speedily
The closing date for applications is close of business, Thursday, 13 April 2017. Should you be interested please apply to email@example.com with a CV and cover letter.
Due to the volume of applications, should you not receive feedback within 14 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.